Oh man! Christmas always seems to come quicker every year and is going to be here before we know it, so I wanted to share with you all a super fun and super simple craft idea to make your own advent calendar.
What I love most about this particular craft is that it is so easy to let your creativity soar and pick whatever colors that you want to use giving you the opportunity to really personalize it… for yourself, or if it’s a gift it’s easy to personalize it to suit the recipients tastes too.
Before we jump into the tutorial, I wanted to share with you links to five of my other “Christmasy” posts, so make sure to check them out too:
- DIY Nativity Silhouette Outdoor Yard Decor
- Easy Instant Wassail Recipe (can be used for gifts or personal use)
- Three Minute Nativity Brooch Pin Tutorial
- The Gift Idea Easy As Pie, & Costs Less Than One Dollar Each
- Caramel Apple Dump Cobbler Recipe
Now back to learning how to make the Christmas Advent Countdown Goody Boxes Kids Craft.
Here is all of the supplies that you will need to create this fun craft (all can be found at Hobby Lobby):
- Colorful Craft Paper
- Tacky Glue
- Scissors and/or Paper Cutter
- Paper Mache Boxes
- Numbered Stickers
- Paper Mache Star
I will give you a little direction to go with the pics, but keep in mind that there is also a free printable “how to” card further down in the post that is a little more in depth :).
Use the lid of the box as a template to measure what sizes you will need to cut the craft paper.
Cut paper to size.
Use Tacky Glue to apply the paper to the box lids.
Apply your choice of patterned craft paper.
Next, all you do is add some numbered stickers. These are the foam ones that I got at Hobby Lobby… but there are some more plain numbered stickers on Amazon if you’d rather go that route.
I love that you can arrange the boxes however you want to…in a tree pattern, a square, or to fit whatever space that you’re going to be displaying them.
Here is the end product! Super cute goody boxes that are personalized the way that I want them, and filled with treats that will make my kids squeal with delight.
I told you it was a simple project, right?!!!!
I think it turned out super cute! What do you think?
Here are some pics of the process for making the star, the star is totally optional.
Remember there is a “How-To” card below that explains how to pretty up your star, and where to purchase it.
Here, below, is a free printable version of the instructions. It will help in case you get lost and don’t want to keep running back to whatever screen you view my blog on.
CHRISTMAS ADVENT COUNTDOWN GOODY BOXES KIDS CRAFT HOW TO MAKE
- Measure the top of the boxes (pictured 2 ⅞ inches square) and cut paper to fit. (you can buy them at Hobby Lobby, here)
- Using tacky glue, apply papers to the top of the boxes. Allow to dry.
- Attach the numbers to the boxes. (These were purchased at Hobby Lobby, check your local store if they are not available online)
- When boxes are dry, place a surprise in each box. Some items to include might be candies, small toys, written activities, or service ideas.
- To create the star (paper mache star purchased here), place one side of the star against sturdy paper and trace the angles. Cut the shape from the paper and use it as a template to cut additional pieces. You will need to cut half of the shapes using the template facing up and then cut the other half with the template upside down.
- Using tacky glue, attach the paper to the star, matching the shape. Allow to dry completely.
- Arrange the boxes as desired on a table, mantel, or under the Christmas tree. Alternatively, you can glue the boxes to a sheet of foam board (wrapped in festive paper) and hang the board with ribbon.
- Beginning on December 1st, open one box each day. You can open the numbered box which corresponds with the date or countdown to Christmas by beginning with box number 24 (24 days until Christmas) and working towards 1.
Most items were purchased at Hobby Lobby, though any craft store should have something similar for you to use.
That’s all I have to share with you today on my Christmas Advent Countdown Goody Boxes Kids Craft. I hope you have as much fun making it as I did!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! If you liked what you saw, please make sure to share it via social media!
Other ways to show your support are to follow and/or interact with me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, or by Subscribing To My Email List.
If you purchase suggested products through Amazon, the cost to you remains the same, but I make a small commission on everything in your cart. Also, if you ever need to buy it again, you can always come back to my site for the link…just sayin’;).
If something was particularly helpful and you would like to donate directly to the blog, you can do so via PayPal, here. I’m a single mom of four, so every little bit helps. Thanks so much! ~Sarah
P.S. You may also like my Christmas Time Section or my Free Printables Section.
Here are five of my other posts that you may also like: