I finally was able to scrounge up the time to refinish the first room in my cottage!!! Unfortunately, it took me two months to get it done because it’s REALLY hard trying to paint when kids are underfoot, but a couple of weekends with them at their dad’s and a few late nights later and I was able to finish it up this week.
A little bit about this room before I show you all of the before and after pictures… This room is just off of my kitchen and actually used to be a porch (so the ceiling slants downward, if you’re wondering about that in the pictures). The previous owner turned it into a cute little room that is long and skinny and I just was not sure what to do with it but decided that if I use a long skinny table and some farmhouse benches that it would work as a dining room. Which was a much needed addition to this house because beyond a little counter in the kitchen, where I will eventually put some stools, there just was not room for a table in Noor Cottage.
The Before Pictures:
The door leading into the new dining room was an old exterior door from before the room was added and it really felt like it cut that room off so we rarely went in there. I ended up taking it off and it has made such a difference in making the house feel so much bigger and open and there’s one less obstacle to get into the dining room so we actually use the room now.
Anyway, the room was painted in a faux green, the ceiling included, and it felt a bit cave-like so I decided to take it in a completely different direction but still wanted to re-use as much as I could to save money so I ended up reusing the light fixtures (because they were still looking good and would match the curtain rod I wanted to buy), all the hardware on the green door, and also kept the tile and the tiled wall area in the corner. Work with what you got instead of ripping it all out and it saves a bundle!
I kinda just used this room as a catch-all while we have been settling in and so this project was a good motivator to get things where they should be or to just get rid of them altogether.
Excuse the lighting in some of these photo’s, but here are the afters. The paint color that I used was is called Rustic Taupe in Behr Premium Ultra with a Matte finish (It took less than one gallon of paint and only took one coat with a touch up). It’s actually a few shades darker gray than I meant to go, but still looks about a million times better than it did before.
Do you see what I’m talking about how taking off that door opened up the house so much? It’s a night and day difference when you’re living here.
I painted the doors all a Matte dark gray and the color is Behr Premium Ultra in Shadow Mountain. The windows on that door were facing onto the street in front of the house and rather than putting up some curtains I decided to just use my leftover lace contact paper from my old post Easy Lace Privacy Windows that way I’m still letting in daylight but have some privacy… Don’t need someone being able to see into my kitchen from the street and I didn’t want my kids trying to pull drapes off so it was win/win!
The walls actually ripple and are uneven in this room…one of the quirky charms of a 1940’s cottage that has had several owners and I just worked with it. I’m actually kind of really falling in love with all the imperfections in the house because it helps me learn to chill out…I’m a recovering perfectionist so this house was meant for me.
Here is the tiled corner that I kept as-is. I ended up buying a little gas stove to put there. I’m wondering if that was actually the intended purpose for this area in the room because there is an outlet on the floor just to the left of the stove and it would work perfectly to plug in a blower for the stove… My house is all electric so I was a nervous wreck last winter knowing that I didn’t have a secondary heat source/way to keep my kids warm if the power went out, so buying this stove was a must! Will be budgeting running the gas to it this summer and we will be prepared for next winter!
As per my norm, here are a couple of the before and after pictures together so that you can all see how much of a difference it really made using just a bit of paint to update this house.
Next on the agenda for this room is to build a mantle above the fireplace, cut down and refinish the table and refinish the benches that I got to match, and then of course decorating it all. It may take a bit longer than I’d like, but make sure to check back later on to see what I have been up to put it all together.
Thanks so much for stopping by my site! Make sure to share this post via social media if you liked it. ~Sarah
P.S. As I’m adding to the cottage make sure to stop by my entire Noor Cottage section so that you can see the progression of refinishing and decorating.